The Rising Stars in Data Science workshop, hosted November 13-14 by the University of California San Diego in collaboration with the University of Chicago, focuses on celebrating and fast tracking the careers of exceptional data scientists at a critical inflection point in their career: the transition to postdoctoral scholar, research scientist, industry research position, or tenure track position. Over the first three years of Rising Stars at UChicago, the annual workshop has hosted a total of 91 Rising Stars from nearly 40 institutions.
This fall, the fourth annual Rising Stars workshop will showcase the exciting, innovative data science initiatives at UChicago and UC San Diego and provide PhD students and postdocs the opportunity to plug into these networks, platforms, and opportunities. The workshop also aims to increase representation and diversity in data science by providing a platform and a supportive mentoring network to navigate academic careers in data science. All graduate students and postdocs, including those who belong to groups underrepresented in data science, are encouraged to apply, including but not limited to people of all racial, ethnic, geographic, and socioeconomic backgrounds, sexual orientations, genders, and persons with disabilities.
The two-day workshop will feature career and research panels, networking and mentoring opportunities, and research talks from the Rising Stars. Participants will gain insights from faculty panels on career development questions such as: how to start your academic career in data science; how to strategically sustain your career through research collaborations, publications, and skill development; and how to form meaningful interdisciplinary collaborations in data science with industry and government partners. Participants will also hear inspiring keynote talks from established, cutting-edge leaders in data science.
Eligibility & Guidelines
If you have any questions about your eligibility, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Applicants must be full time graduate students within 1-2 years of obtaining a PhD, or a current postdoctoral scholar, fellow, or researcher.
- We welcome applicants from a wide variety of fields and backgrounds: any eligible PhD or postdoc who is engaging in rigorous, data-driven inquiry is encouraged to apply.
- Applicants from all institutions, including but not limited to the University of Chicago and the University of California San Diego, are encouraged to apply.
- Applicants may only submit one application.
- Applicants may have nominations from a maximum of 2 faculty members or advisors.
- Rising Star research talks
- Panels (career development, data science research)
- Keynote address
- 1:1 meetings with faculty members
- Networking within the UChicago and UC San Diego data science ecosystems