When submitting a master’s degree APPC for a PhD student, always check to see if the student has already earned a master’s degree. (This is true whether it is a master’s along the way or a terminating master’s).
Does the student have a previous MA or MS degree?
NO – Proceed with the APPC submission
YES -The previous advanced degree was not from UCSD and was in a fundamentally different discipline:
- Submit an email (with the APPC) from the dept chair or other member of faculty leadership, to confirm approval of the duplicate degree.
- The email should state that:
- The faculty have reviewed the student’s record and have determined that the second master’s degree is in a fundamentally different disciplinary field.
- The student’s coursework and/or research represents a different type of training than the training received at UCSD.
- The faculty approve conferring a duplicate master’s degree.
YES – The previous duplicate degree was awarded by UCSD or it was in the same discipline as the degree that the student is currently pursuing:
- Submit an exception letter (with the APPC) for review by the Sr. Assoc Dean.
- The email should explain:
- How the previous degree/coursework/research was different from the degree/coursework/research that the student is currently pursuing.
- How the duplicate master’s degree will benefit the student in his/her career.
Senate policy: https://senate.ucsd.edu/media/70346/GC-Revision-to-the-Policy-on-the-Duplication-of-Advanced-Degrees.pdf