The University of California, San Diego invites applications from outstanding candidates for multiple tenured primary appointment faculty positions at the Halicioglu Data Science Institute with optional joint appointment in another academic department. We are focusing on candidates who advance research in the following areas:
- Theoretical Foundations – candidates who are applying their disciplinary skills to advance the theory and applications of data science. The foundations area draws heavily from traditional disciplines such as machine learning, statistics, optimization, signal processing, algorithms and complexity. Accordingly, ideal candidates will have a doctorate in areas of engineering and computer science or mathematics/statistics with a record of research in data sciences.
- Systems and Applications – candidates with background and experience in building data science systems that target a well-defined application area. Examples of application areas include robotics, health, cyber-physical systems. Research topics may include architectural design and implementation of devices and systems that push the state of the art in the use of data, data models, data related work-flows and methods of artificial intelligence. Demonstrated applications of these advances in targeted areas are of special interest. System implementations that target cross-cutting needs such as data visualization, system security are particularly welcome to apply. Accordingly, ideal candidates will have a doctorate in sciences or engineering with a record of research in data sciences.
The University of California, San Diego is committed to academic excellence and diversity within the faculty, staff and student body. A PhD in Computer Science, Engineering, Math or related discipline is required at the time of application. Candidates are expected to have established independent publication and funding records with national reputation in their field of research. The preferred candidate will have demonstrated strong leadership or a commitment to support diversity, equity and inclusion in an academic setting. Applicants will be expected to teach graduate and undergraduate students in the Data Science major/minor degree programs offered by the Institute. In case of a partial joint appointment with another department, the teaching workload would include appropriate course work in the participating department. Salary and rank will be commensurate with qualifications in conformance with University of California policies.
About the Halicioglu Data Science Institute: Data Science has emerged as an area central to advances in our understanding of nature, improving the quality life and a healthy society. Data collection, stewardship, and analyses are already integrated into the infrastructure for commerce, healthcare, governance, and education. These ubiquitous practical uses of digital data have raised awareness of the need to further develop the underlying scientific and technological basis for understanding and exploiting data. UC San Diego is pursuing a strategy for advancing Data Science that builds upon its unique strengths in creating interdisciplinary research areas that span multiple disciplines and departments. Funded with a $75M endowment, the mission of the Halicioglu Data Science Institute (HDSI) is to explore the scientific foundations for the new field of data science. These foundations include the principles, methods, and tools that will enable us to understand the nature of digital data, and also the intersections between this new field and existing disciplines of human inquiry. HDSI is a new strategic academic institute tasked with hosting and coordination of Data Science research and education activities at the University of California, San Diego. Among HDSI academic programs are a Data Science major and minor currently with nearly 600 undergraduate students. Prospective HDSI faculty members will have the option of a joint appointment with one or more academic departments of the University in order to bolster the interdisciplinary nature of Data Science.
We encourage candidates to send applications as soon as possible. Review of applications will begin January 17, 2019 and continue until the position is filled.
Applications must be submitted electronically through AP-Online Recruit website: https://apol-recruit.ucsd.edu/apply/JPF02096
Please submit a:
- A Cover Letter
- C.V. with list of publications
- Solicit 3 to 5 references to provide letters through the Recruit system
- A statement of Research
- A statement of teaching interests and
- A separate statement describing past experience in activities that promote diversity and inclusion and/or plans to make future contributions. For further information about contributions to diversity statements, see http://facultyequity.ucsd.edu/Faculty-Applicant-C2D-Info.asp .
For applicants with interest in spousal/partner employment, please see https://aps.ucsd.edu/services/pop/index.html for the UC San Diego Partner Opportunities Program.
UC San Diego is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer with a strong institutional commitment to excellence through diversity.