- The Data Science department will allow one screening course taken during the SP20, FA20, WI21, or SP21 to be taken as P/NP. Students who take one of the screening courses as P/NP during one of the above quarters must complete the other two screening courses for a letter grade. More information is available in the P/NP Policy Letter from the Data Science department chairs.
- Winter 2022 Capped Major Application: Only the highest two screening course letter grades will be used to determine a student’s screening course GPA. For students who took all three screening courses for a letter grade, the lowest letter grade will be dropped from the screening course GPA average. For students who took one of the three screening courses for a P grade in eligible courses, both letter grades will be used for the screening course GPA average.
Capped Major Application
UC San Diego undergraduate students who would like to change from another major or undeclared into the Data Science Undergraduate Program may apply to the major via the Capped Major Application. Applications must be submitted on or before the deadline.
Please note, however, that prospective transfer students are strongly encouraged to meet with their college advisor and a data science advisor to discuss their interest and ability to become a Data Science major.
The Data Science Capped Major Application can be found on the UC San Diego Capped Major tool here: https://soeapp.ucsd.edu/cappedmajor/DSC
Tentative 2021-2022 Capped Major Application Dates:
- WINTER 2022:
- Open to Students to Apply: Monday, January 3rd
- Deadline to Apply or Make Changes: Sunday, January 16th
- Offers of Admission Sent: Monday, January 17th to Friday, January 28th
- SPRING 2022:
- Open to Students to Apply: Monday, March 28th
- Deadline to Apply or Make Changes: Sunday, April 10th
- Offers of Admission Sent: Monday, April 11th to Friday, April 22nd
- Successful completion of the screening courses: (Math 18 OR Math 31AH), (Math 20C OR Math 31BH), and DSC 10.
- Courses must be completed at the time of the Capped Major application to be eligible. Students may not have any outstanding grades for screening courses or any reason (i.e Incompletes, pending Academic Integrity case, etc)
- Students who entered UC San Diego as Freshmen must apply by the end of their 6th academic quarter at UC San Diego.
- Students who entered UC San Diego as Transfer students must apply by the end of their 3rd academic quarter at UC San Diego.
- Students with 150+ units at the time of the application will need to submit a quarter by quarter (QxQ) plan for their remaining requirements to be reviewed by the DSC department and their college. QxQ plan must be emailed to email@example.com no later than the capped major application deadline.
- Students are allotted two application attempts.
- Students will be ranked based on their GPA in the screening courses, (Math 18 or Math 31AH), (Math 20C or Math 31BH), and DSC 10. Grades from transfer credit will be used in calculating the GPA for the screening courses.
- Students with the same GPA in the screening courses will be ordered by their overall GPA.
- Students will be admitted according to their ranking based on the number of available seats. If there are more students at a given rank than the available seats, random selection will be made from among the students at that rank to fill in the remaining seats.
Time to Degree Considerations:
Students who entered UC San Diego as Freshmen:
Must be on track to complete DSC 30 and DSC 40A prior to their third year at UC San Diego to be on track for an on-time graduation. Prospective students in their second year are strongly encouraged to meet with a Data Science advisor to review the long term plan for the major.
Students who entered UC San Diego as Transfer Students:
Currently, the Data Science major requires a minimum of 8 quarters for transfer students to complete. To remain on this 8 quarter transfer plan, transfer students must be on track to complete DSC 30 and DSC 40A prior to their second year at UC San Diego. Prospective transfer students are strongly encouraged to meet with a Data Science advisor to review the long term plan for the major.
Prospective Double Majors:
Double Major Restrictions: Students majoring in the Computer Science and Engineering department are not able to pursue a Data Science double major.
All students who wish to add Data Science as a second major must first be accepted through the Data Science Capped Major Application. Once accepted, students will then submit their Double Major Petition materials for review. Students who intend to double major with another Capped Major should pay close attention to the instructions provided in the Capped Major acceptance message.