How to Contact DSC Undergraduate Advising:
All current students (regardless of declared major/minor) are strongly encouraged to connect with DSC Advising through the Virtual Advising Center (VAC). The DSC Student Affairs team typically responds to student inquiries in the VAC within 1-2 business days (excluding weekends and holidays).
Students can access the Virtual Advising Center through the TritonLink “Ask a Question” page or by clicking the link above. To reach DSC Undergraduate Advising, select “Data Science” from the drop-down menu under “Direct to.” Check the “Notify me via text message” box to ensure you see the VAC response as soon as a DSC Advisor has responded.
Students can also refer to the VAC after drop-in sessions and advising appointments for a summary of the meeting and access any discussed links. Please note: We do not schedule appointments or provide long-term planning through the VAC.
Common VAC topics include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Degree audit updates (e.g., petition substitutions, DSC 190 core course substitutions)
- Graduation checks (e.g., graduating next quarter and want to check that all requirements are on track to completion)
- Quick questions on the following:
- DSC Capped Major Application
- Declaring a DSC minor
- Declaring a DSC double major
- DSC major/minor requirements
- DSC enrollment policies
- Submitting EASy requests & petitions
WI23 Drop-In Advising Hours:
- Mondays: 1:30 pm – 3:30 pm PST
- Thursdays: 9:00 am – 11:30 am PST
All current students (regardless of declared major/minor) are strongly encouraged to attend drop-in advising PRIOR to scheduling an advising appointment, as most questions can be addressed during drop-in advising without the need for a longer appointment. Drop-in sessions are designed to be 10-15 minutes in length and do not require an appointment in advance. If a DSC Advisor determines an inquiry will take longer to address, students will be asked to schedule a follow-up advising appointment.
Students can access DSC drop-in advising through the TritonLink “Meet with Advisor” page. Please note: The sign-in will only appear during active drop-in hours.
Drop-in advising is provided on a first come, first served basis; there is no guarantee that students will see an advisor during drop-in advising hours. Students will not be allotted additional time as we often have several students waiting in queue. The last student will be seen 15 minutes before the end of the advising hours available that day.
Common drop-in topics include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Review of courses for the current quarter
- Selection of courses for the upcoming quarter
- Assistance preparing/submitting academic forms (e.g., EASy requests, petitions, academic planning forms, etc.)
- Exploration of DSC department resources
WI23 Advising Appointment Hours:
- Tuesdays 1:30 pm-3:30 pm PST
- Fridays: 9:00 am-11:00 am PST & 1:30 pm-3:30 pm PST
Academic advising appointments are available in 30-minute increments. Common appointment topics include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Long-term planning (more than 1 quarter)
- Long-term planning is only available to current DSC majors/minors
- Students seeking long-term planning assistance must prepare a long-term plan draft prior to the appointment
- Assistance preparing/submitting academic forms (e.g., double major petitions, academic planning forms, financial aid appeals, etc.)
- Discussions of academic difficulty or other challenges
Students should contact DSC Student Affairs at least 2 business days in advance to schedule an appointment. To schedule an appointment:
- Email email@example.com
- In your email, please include:
- Preferred date and time based on available hours
- Alternative date and time based on available hours
- Reason for appointment
- Cell phone number and carrier (if you would like to receive a text message confirmation)
If you need to cancel your appointment, we request that you notify the department at least 1 business day in advance.
Students not currently attending UC San Diego can contact the DSC department with questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Current students should submit all academic inquiries through the Virtual Advising Center. Current students can contact email@example.com to schedule academic advising appointments and submit academic forms. We also reach out to current students regarding internship and research opportunities along with program announcements, so please make sure the email is set up to filter into your inbox and not to your junk or spam folders. Please note: Academic inquiries sent to firstname.lastname@example.org will be redirected to the VAC. We will not address duplicate messages sent to both the VAC and the DSC student email.
Students not currently attending UC San Diego can contact the DSC Undergraduate department with questions at (858) 534-0198.
Current students should submit all academic inquiries through the Virtual Advising Center. Please note: Students who call with academic inquiries will be redirected to the VAC. The DSC Undergraduate Student Affairs team is in-office on Wednesdays and Thursdays during normal business hours and may miss your call if you call outside of these times. If you leave a voicemail, please include your name, PID, and UCSD email so we can follow up with you accordingly.
The Data Science Undergraduate Student Affairs team is committed to supporting students in achieving their academic, professional, and personal goals within the program.
Sonlong is an Undergraduate Manager at HDSI. Previously, Sonlong has served as a coordinator and academic advisor at Thurgood Marshall College and Eleanor Roosevelt College at UCSD. He is also an alum of UCSD where he received a BA in Urban Studies & Planning before going on to SDSU to receive his MA in Postsecondary Educational Leadership.
Program Coordinator & Undergraduate Student Advisor
My name is Meredith Longo, one of the program coordinators and undergraduate student advisors at HDSI. I formerly worked as a student services advisor at UCSC in the Baskin School of Engineering, and was a high school math teacher. I also earned my B.A. in Math/Secondary Education and M.Ed. at UCSD. My favorite things in life are my husband, everything Disney, and anime!…
Program Coordinator & Undergraduate Student Advisor
Mona (she/her/hers) is the Undergraduate Program Intake Advisor at HDSI. Mona received her B.S. in Clinical Psychology from UC San Diego and is passionate about supporting college students from all backgrounds to achieve academic and personal success. In her free time, Mona enjoys cooking, spending quality time with family and friends, and viewing sunsets at the beach.